Sunday, December 16, 2007

Good questions to consider

I know we all have different opinions on whether there should be a Medical Directive option for eating disordered patients.

I have strong opinions. I think, at a healthy BMI and right state of mind, one should be able to say, hey, "if I collapse or am in a presistant vegatative state I would like to not be kept alive by extreme measures" I think we can all think of a case where a woman (and no for legal purposes I can't say names) where the court decided that in PVS that she wouldn't have wanted to be kept alive "artificially" GOOD DECISION, good job justice system (and I know I'll get a lot of hate mail from the people here but..................) let's think about this, a person who has collapsed from a thin driven society that has suffered from an eating disorder probably doesn't want to live in a PVS kept alive by G-tube feedings.

So I've decided to meet with some spiritual care counselors at the local hospital, to discuss formulating a "medical directive" for myself. The last thing I want in this world is to be exploited by means of artificial measures, I'd like to die with dignity.

So after much research, thought, consideration etc... I've decided, shall I collapse, I'd like no chest compressions and no vent tube. If it can't be done with ACLS meds or bag mask, than let it go (and that's where the dignity part comes in) I'd like not to be tube fed. Not a lot to ask right?

No comments: